Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I AM MY MOTHER'S DAUGHTER

Before I get to the quilty stuff, I just wanted to say that last night I walked by the mirror (yes, nothing strange about that) but the person looking back at me looked like my mother. If my mother was around, I would have had a nice conversation with her.

Instead the conversation was with myself.....and it was Woooahh....you look like your mother......almost scared myself. As I got to thinking about it, my mother is 73 (sorry mom.....for telling your age...you don't look it you really don't....I have to say that because when I turn 73 I don't want to look 73...so me being her....nope, not a bit over 60)..... Anyways, I saw my mother on Mother's Day (I truly hate that day but that will be for another post)....but she looked wonderful. On my drive back to Texas I couldn't help but think how awesome she looked and if I look like her now, man, I am going to be one hot granny.....(are you laughing).


So....Sherry from Manicurist by day, quilter by night, emailed me with a zipper bag....she knew I had all these zippers (oh yes, who is laughing at all my zippers now)???? You can click on the zipper bag and it will take you to the tutorial.

So this is the light side......


This is the dark side, we all know we have a dark side....fess up....

Now this would be a fun bag for someone who likes to zip.....and unzip...I think it would drive a teacher crazy. I did change it up some to where I top stitched the zippers after sewing them together so it was not so poofy. But....sad to say, I did not enjoy doing this...you might.....we all like different things. No one is going to come and take my sewing toys away are they for saying that????


Now I forgot to take a picture of the strips but I sewed 9 strips together from my island jelly roll, sandwiched it and started swirling...oh how I love to swirl, with the machine and a hoop skirt.



I made these bags........yes, used four more zippers...that is a total of 18 zippers used...so now how many zippers do I have left....ha!!! You can click here
for the tutorial.


Then I started working on my jelly roll quilt along, what a mess I am making of these. I have to redo Judi's, block 8.....so frustrated. I would just throw it all away but I love the colors sooooooooooooooooooooooo I am quiting for tonight. I am going to read my book....toot tal loo!!!







26 comments:

Terry said...

Your jelly roll blocks are beautiful! Don't give up now! You're so close to having them all done! :0)

Sherry said...

I love the pink side. So your not going to keep making them. That ok sometimes we need to do things once and thats all. Thats what make us creative people.
Well if you keep using your zippers you wont have any to bring back home with you. Better go get more. LOL

Pat said...

That bag made of SO many zippers is a real hoot!!!

Betsy said...

Great story Barb. Funny, while I have been home this summer I too have noticed how much I look like my mother. I love the quilting on your samoan fabric and your bags as usual look great! Very creative zipper bag I must say.

Gene Black said...

Barb, your block 11 looks great!
It is a sampler so mistakes are part of the fun. You can leave them in and have them to laugh at later.

Sandy said...

Well I love to start my day with you! ...wearing a big smile here.
that all zipper thing looks interesting, but would drive me nuts, LOL.
Listen, is your sister going to try for a GO!? If so, I too will donate my points...probably only a pillow case or two, I am waaaaay overextended at this point, (not for the old me, but for the new "chemo" me! LOL) but every little bit helps and that Lovebug Studio Give Away is for such a good cause...so maybe an extra 20 pts would help her, fondly, Sandy in MD

Rumi said...

When I was younger, I looked more like my father but as I have gotten older, I am looking more like my mother. Funny how that happens.

You sure have been zip crazy lately LOL! I'm also lovin' your blocks.

Greg said...

thats a cool looking bag. Nice quilts as well... If I was my mother's daughter, I'd BE A WOMAN!!! lol... sometimes as we get older we become more like our parents. Have a great day.

Crispy said...

Great bags and blocks!! I'd never remember which zipper to pull LOL.

Crispy

Pat said...

Nice of Sherry to send you the zipper bag. Nice bags you made. The blocks are just beautiful, Barb. I had great times with my mother also. Thank you for sharing, my dear friend.
Happy Quilting!

Just JaiCi's Crafts said...

that zipper bag is stinkin' awesome!! Taht would be the best toy in the world for my kids in the car :) :)

Unknown said...

Wonderful projects! Love the colors in the quilt blocks.

Wacky Woman said...

That is one cute zippered bag.

Connie204 said...

Your zipper bag is fun. I wonder if it would keep a toddler happy for awhile? Your jelly roll colors are wonderful. I'm sure you will get over your frustration. Connie 204

JustCindy said...

Love love love the swirls. And the island bags well I love love love them also. :)

Mary said...

You are ahead of me on the Jelly Roll blocks. I have # 11 to do. I have 9 Farmer's Wife blocks to complete this month yet Love your little Zipper Bags!!!

Kim said...

Got a chuckle out of this post. :-D

Linda said...

Great little bags. The zipper bag and the others too. The zipper bag is so cute. I make bags all the time too and give them to the women's shelter full of goodies. They really appreciate them and it makes me feel good too.

Your JR quilt is coming along so nicely. I really like your blocks.

And, I can relate to the mother in the mirror thing too. I surprise myself sometimes when I look in the mirror. Who is that old woman and what did she do with Linda? I don't look like my dear sweet Mother so much, just some random old woman off the street! Hugs, Linda

quiltmom anna said...

Barb,
Your zipper bag is too funny- I am constantly amazed how much you accomplish on any given day- Hope the book was good.
It is funny what we see in the mirror- my husband looks like his mother's side of the family and I look like my father's side of my family complete with the thick neck and tree trunk legs..LOL My sister looks more like my mom and my grandmother. Your mom sounds like a beautiful lady- just like her daughter.
Regards,
Anna

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Wonderful projects! Everything looks great.

sewfunquilts said...

Definitely related to your mother mirror story. Thanks.

mmmmh??? zipper/zipper bag??

hetty said...

Loved your post! Too funny! The zipper bag looks like fun, but I think it would drive me crazy too! As for the mirror story - it's called genetics and there isn't a darn thing you can do about it.

Seams to Sew and Quilt said...

Love the little zipper bag and the other bags are cute too...

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Great zipper bags Barb! And I like your blocks!~ I am behind.. again. Sigh, I may never catch up! ;-) Oh I like the new blog look too! Sorry I haven't been by lately. It's crazy here! ;-)

Unknown said...

of all my moms four kids, it is me that looks like her....I like it a lot...she was a great person and I am honored.....

lisa said...

my mom and all her sisters look so much like my Nana, and I look a lot like my mom, and my girls, there's no doubt they are mine. Strong genes there!!

my kids would love that bag. My almost one year old is OBSESSED with zippers, I plan my outfits to please her when I can. (when its not too hot) and my four year odl would think it was a secret treasure holder!! love it!