Monday, March 21, 2011

Free Form Quilting......

This is the octopus quilt's back after I used batting as a stabilizer and then cut away the batting to give it a trapunto look. I knot my ends so you will see globs of black, but no one will notice when it is backed.

Instead of Free Motion quilting, I am calling this free form quilting....I just did what ever floated my boat....I might get kicked off the boat but sure was having alot of fun in the process. Isn't that what this is all about, having fun?

Not sure if I like it but it gave me more confidence to move on...



I want to show you all what I learned, maybe some of you knew this and maybe there will be someone out there that doesn't and ... just maybe it will save someone time and frustration.

You see this foot....there is a screw at the top of the piece...see it, it is on the top right? Well...this allows you to lift the foot higher off the quilt or lower it. In my case, lowering the foot to where it touches with just enough room to move the quilt allowed me to have more control over my stitching. It also eleviated the skipped stitches and sometimes bad tension. Once I learned this, my free motion moved up a knotch in fun.

ALL I WANT TO DO IS HAVE SOME FUN!!! Know that song????




I did my March Boot Bash.....I used my Samoan Fabric......oh don't you just love those fabrics? You can not see the March at the bottom, I think I am going to have to take it out and put a darker stitch in. No worries....ain't taking it out today...maybe not tomorrow....and maybe not at all....it is no fun ripping out.....yep...this post is about having fun.....


Gene will announce the winner of the button giveaway on his blog Tuesday night.....so I will see you all then.


31 comments:

West Michigan Quilter said...

Barb. you did a wonderful job on that quilt. I've never tried trapunto. Thanks for letting us see how you did that. I'm inspired to try it myself (on a smaller project). Great job.

Wacky Woman said...

You go girl!

Miss Hillbilly said...

I didn't know that you were doing the Boot Bash. I plan too...like I've said about alot of others. LOL

Kim D. said...

Your quilting is lovely Barb, looks like you were having fun with it. The boot is fabulous!

QuiltSue said...

The octopus is so cute. I love that he is holding all the baby "things" too.

Betsy said...

Lovely boot Barb.

Barbara said...

The free form quilting goes perfectly with the octopus!

JustCindy said...

What kind of foot is that? I could see March if I enlarged the photo. Love the boot! The octopus looks great, I will have to try that technique.

Unknown said...

I love your octopus , it looks like he's having fun too !

Cheryl Willis said...

I really enjoy getting to see the journy. this quilt is going to be a lovely keepsake!

onlymehere said...

This is the biggest reason why I sew, bz it's relaxing to me and it's fun! Good for you with what you're learning and doing. I took a machine quilting class but I'm not very good yet. I mainly just stitch in the ditch but when I make something that isn't a gift then I'll practice the other. It's good to see that you're taking time out to have fun!

Rumi said...

Your octopus quilt is adorable and I think it turned out great! The boot is great too. I learned some things today also! Thanks

Jocelyn said...

Wow Barb it looks great!

Sarcastic Quilter said...

The boot is so fun and yes, I love the Samoan Fabrics. I finally ordered 2 jelly rolls from Inchworm Fabrics.

The octopus, wow! I was thinking about experimenting with that same technique but haven't tried yet. Was it easy, a pain, tell, tell!

It looks great and I'm glad you learned about the foot. I use that same screw on my mid-arm to quilt fleece and other stretchy fabrics. Raise it up so the foot only slightly touches the fabric and I have no drag and stretching. It's great.

Crispy said...

Aren't those TADA moments wonderful? I bet you were wondering all along what that screw would do LOL. LOVE the boot!!

Crispy

Mary L. said...

Your quilting looks wonderful and I just love that octopus!

Needled Mom said...

I like the trapunto on the octopus, Barb. The swirls look great too. I'd keep you on the boat!!!

Cathi said...

Love the boot. I'm doing the Boot Bash also..just finished up January & February. I'm doing mine needle turn so they look a little different than most. I'm looking forward to the April block.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the octopus! It is so cute - you did a great job!
Jacque in SC
quiltnsrep(at)yahoo(dot)com

Unknown said...

Great job, love the new quilting.

sandra said...

I am trying to learn machine quilting but so far have just managed straight lines. Your free motion quilting looks excellent. Thanks for your little tip.

Linda said...

So cute, great job on the quilting... it looks like waves!

Barb, I don't know if it's just me but I could not get the link to work to go to Gene's blog...

Yvette said...

You are really doing such a fantastic job on that quilt and on the Boot block too. Sooo nice with those fabrics.

Barb said...

I really like your apple core, did you piece it on the machine? our curves look great!

hetty said...

The octopus looks great! Love your boot block too! My darning foot doesn't look like that. I slow my free motion stitching down by setting the speed to half and leaving my feed dogs up.

Lynn said...

I think your free form quilting is wonderful! The boot is pretty fabulous too.

Anonymous said...

Great job, Barb... Nah, we won't throw you off the boat.

QuiltNut Creations said...

he looks great Barb!! love the boot too.

SewCalGal said...

I do so love your Octopus quilt design and your FMQ is really lovely too! Great job.

Cute boot too!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Melissa ;-) said...

Thanks for that tip. I knew there was a screw there, but I didn't think anymore about it than that. Now I may just have to play with it some and see what happens. I have had trouble with the quilt jumping with the needle and this sounds like it would help.

Mistea said...

Your Octopus looks fantastic. At least if they kick you off the boat you'll be able to swim with your Octopus!