Friday, July 8, 2011

REVERSIBLE SNOODS (SNOODIES)TUTORIAL, GREAT FOR CHEMO PATIENTS

First you pick out two coordinating fabrics. I have a yellow knit for the band.


You can go here for a one sided snood and pattern. She also has a place where you can go and buy the pattern. I did buy the pattern but ended up making my own.
You probably can not read what I have on my patterns...so here goes


The body is 13" by 11.5", you place on the fold lengthwise and the ends are rounded on one end of the fold to the opposite end width wise .... just slightly rounded....go to here for her picture.

Here is mine, notice how the end is slightly rounded (only on one end). Her measurements may vary but this is mine.



The band for mine that I did today was 11" by 5" rectangle. The original directions called for 5 inches by 25.5 inches (total, so you would divide that number in half) so for mine....you will place the end on the fold to get 22".... if you are not using knit for the band, you may want to use the longer version, her version. The knit seems to stretch and if it is longer it tends to be too long.


The tie is 17" by 5" and place the end on the fold.



Here we go....you get your ties, fold them in half lengthwise and sew all the way down them. When you get to the end, you will take and fold over the end like you see here....
You will make a finger press and get a marking diagonal like you see here
You will sew down that finger press marking.... you will trim and you will get this for the end of the tie.
Next.....many moons ago in Texas I purchased this little rod for turning handles for bags etc.
I put the rod on the floor, put the fabric over the rod and just shimmy the tie down the rod to the right side...
Here you have it....then I press the ties...

Next I take the knit fabric (I ironed it in half lengthwise).....I put a tie on each end....and I take note on how I have placed the ties so the bottoms are facing the same way.....(the little triangle at the bottom). The knit fabric is inside out....with the ties inside the knit...I sew a seam on each end. I like having two different colored ties.



Next....I take the body of the snood....with it still folded but right sides together....where the ends are rounded.... see above picture...and I make a gather between the dots....hopefully, you can see the dots... After it is gathered, I take a regular stitch 1/2 inches from the top to make the gathers permanent...and I serge the ends. Do this to both fabrics.



Next...I take the head band with the ties - right sides out and ties hanging out.....I find the middle of the band. I take the opposite end of the body I just gathered and I find the middle and match it to the band's middle. Right sides of the band to the right side of the body.



I pin all the way down it. Now I can't believe I don't have a picture of this but....I have about 1/2 inch of the body hanging over the side of the band on each side. I sew this body on. Remember to back stitch.



Then I do the same thing to the other fabric....matching the middles and leaving a little fabric at the end hanging over to match the other side of the fabric that is already sewn on.



I thought you would be able to see the fabric hanging off the side but you can't....


Next you are going to pin the two coordinating fabrics together as you see here. Remember you left some fabric over hanging on both ends of the band so you can just sew right next to the band all he way around to the other side.... I match the middles....The ties and band are encased in the body at this time.




Remember to leave an opening so you can turn the body right side out.

Here you have it turned right side out.



Here is what the end should look like, I do like this much better than having the band longer than the body of the snood.


Next we are going to top stitch all the way around the band and body. Starting at one end..going to the other end....turn the corner...


Go all the way around the body til you get to the beginning point....you will end up sealing the hole in this process.



This is what it looks like.... I so much like this better than my first one.

If you have any questions, let me know, I will come back and try to clarify.



















7 comments:

Wacky Woman said...

You are the clever one. Excellent!

SewCalGal said...

You are so smart. Excellent tutorial and I love the idea it is two sided. Really looks cute. Thanks for sharing. I definitely want to make some using your instructions.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

That's cool Barb. Thanks for sharing this.
xx, shell

Kim Brackett said...

Didn't know that's what these were called. What a funny name. Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial.

Miri said...

Great tutorial and I know it will be useful to alot of people who want to reach out and help someone. Good job!

Crispy said...

Thanks for sharing Barb.....it is a lot of work putting together a great tutorial :0)

Crispy

Micki said...

What a wonderful tutorial Barb!
Micki